Upon arriving at the river, responders found a 19-year-old female who had been overcome by strong currents and was unconscious. At the time of the release the female subject was breathing but non-responsive.
With the warm weather and the levels of water increasing in the Virgin River, the risk of utilizing these areas for recreation also increases.
The St. George Police Department is asking the public to be mindful of the waterways and remember basic safety tips for recreation near rivers:
* Even, shallow water can have strong undertows when moving rapidly.
* Learn swimming and swimming survival skills.
* Always swim as a group
* Check for hazards both where you are swimming and down stream.
* Do not mix swimming with alcohol or drugs.
* Do not trespass or enter into unauthorized areas to gain access.